Heslington Hall is situated on University Way in south-east York.
The Hall was built in 1598 for Sir Thomas Eynns. With modifcations made in Victorian times and also in the 20th century, it was vacated in WW2 by the family of Baron Deramore and became the Headquarters of RAF No 4 Group Bomber Command. After the war it remained unoccupied until the mid-1960s when it became the Administrative Building for the newly opened York University.
A wall plaque measuring approximately 50 cms x 30 cms on a stairwell to the right side of the main Reception area pays tribute to the personnel of the Group who made the supreme sacrifice in the air and on the ground during WW2.
10 Squadron, based initially at Dishforth then Leeming and finally RAF Melbourne, comprised just one of the many Yorkshire 4 Group squadrons and lost some 839 aircrew during its WW2 bombing operations.